What’s the first thing that pops into your head when you think of summer? GO! Come-on!! Read the first sentence faster if you really want to play this game!!
Oh – and did I mention — Barbecue!!
Yes, why go in to eat in those dark homes when you can bring the kitchen out into shinny, sticky, toe warming goodness? To celebrate, this month’s Go Ahead Honey it’s Gluten Free theme is Barbecue Bash.
The best way to enjoy the sun is to put on some sunscreen, find a large tree or hammock to catch a nap and of course eat something utterly refreshing. That’s where this salad comes in. To cool you down, this salad incorporates juicy watermelon, an epitome of summer bliss, mint and basil. All that sweet cooling goodness is perfectly complemented by smooth goat cheese and spicy red onions. Mmmmm.. what a delicious summer this is.
Juicy Watermelon Salad
Makes: 2 servings
Ready in: 15 minutes
- 20 – 30 basil leaves
- 15 – 20 mint leaves
- quarter of a small watermelon
- quarter of a red onion
- goat cheese (leave out if vegan)
1. Wash the basil leaves and pat dry using a kitchen towel or a paper napkin.
2. Wash the mint leaves and pat dry using a kitchen towel or a paper napkin.
3. Chop up the watermelon into large bite size chunks. Slice the red onion.
4. Assemble the salad directly onto the salad plates by laying down the basil and mint leaves. Top it with the chopped watermelon and red onion slices. Lay a slice of goat cheese right smack in the center. You can use a piece of the watermelon rind to hold the goat cheese.