Sugar Free Sunday & Corn Sugar Vs High Fructose Corn Syrup
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
I went refined sugar free a couple of weeks back and, ever since, we’ve been reading the food labels like hawks! It isn’t like we didn’t read them before, we did! If a food had High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) in it, it was not okay. A few days back, we were reading the label on my husbands favorite cereal and we saw a new name, Corn Sugar. So far I had let myself believe that corn sugar was an unrefined sugar of some sort. Since I was being super strict about what I ate, I decided to look into the difference, between corn sugar and HFCS, and what I found was shocking!
Apparently, manufacturers have begun replacing HFCS with traditional corn sugar as consumer awareness on the issue increases. The FDA sent a letter to the Corn Refiners Association requesting that they stop using the term “corn sugar” until a formal decision was made by them. Also, the term “corn sugar” already refers to the corn product dextrose, which further confuses the issue. The Corn Refiners Association responded with “We do not believe that anyone could be confused or believe that the statements regarding ‘corn sugar’ on the websites refer to anything other than high fructose corn syrup.” So that means my family was consuming HFCS, assuming that corn sugar was something different.
In fact, the makers of HFCS have petitioned the FDA to formally change the name of HFCS to corn sugar. This completely contradicts the first statement where they thought people would not confuse the two names! Hopefully, by the time this court case is settled there will be some ruling which declares sugar as an addictive substance similar to alcohol and get regulated! Meanwhile, I have to make sure I watch the labels even more carefully for fear of making incorrect assumptions. Do you’ll have similar stories or alternate names for sugar that you avoid?
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.