Sugar Free Sunday & Honey Labeling Part 3
The USDA defines 4 categories of grades deemed out of a total score of 100. (50 points for flavor and aroma; 40 for absence of defects; 10 for clarity if the honey is not strained):
- Grade A: Has a score of at least 90. Absence of defect: Has no sedimentations that affect appearance or edibility. Flavor and aroma: Is free from caramelization, smoke, fermentation, chemicals etc. Clarity: It can have some air bubbles or pollen or particles but nothing that affects the appearance.
- Grade B: Has a score of at least 80. Absence of defect: The sedimentation in the honey does not materially affect appearance or edibility. Flavor and aroma: Mostly free from caramelization. Free from smoke, fermentation, chemicals etc. Clarity: Fine particles do not materially affect the appearance.
- Grade C: Has a score of at least 70. Absence of defect: The sedimentations in the honey does not seriously affect appearance or edibility. Flavor and aroma: Reasonably free from caramelization. Free from smoke, fermentation, chemicals etc. Clarity: Fine particles do not seriously affect the appearance.
- Substandard: Has a score below 70 and does not meet the criteria for Grade C.
There are two things to note about the above system:
1. Grading of a honey is voluntary. There is no official / government check or enforcement. It’s left to the producers to judge what grade their honey gets (if any).
2. The list of properties that makes it to the US grading system are less than those specified by the World Health Organization (WHO). WHO includes additional properties such as sugar content, heavy metals and hygiene.
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.