H loves Caprese anything! Some mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and he is in Caprese heaven! 🙂
While the house recovers from cold and ear infection this week, we’ve been on a simple, quick to put together diet so to speak! We’ve had take-out from a few Thai restaurants, does the hot curry open up your nasal passages or what? 😛 Then, we’ve been buying soup from Whole Foods. To complete the meal we’ve been making different versions of sandwiches to go with the soups. This particular sandwich has been one of them. The prep time simply involves washing and slicing the tomatoes and washing the basil leaves. Tadaa! So here comes my hubbies favorite sandwich!
Now, (i) apologies in advance for posting a mostly “to taste” recipe. Actually, correction: this is more an idea than a recipe by itself. I’m hoping you’ve made enough Caprese salads or have the taste profile that you like. (ii) I’m missing a couple of images for grilling the sandwich and flipping it.
Makes: 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ready in: 10 minutes
- 2 slices of your favorite bread (Gluten-free if needed)
- shredded mozzarella cheese to taste
- 1 tomato sliced
- few leaves of basil
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
2. Turn the breads over and warm the other side a bit too.
3. Now for the fun part! I layered both the sides to make a nice juicy and fat sandwich! Spread the mozzarella cheese on the bread. Next, the sliced tomatoes go on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Layer a few basil leaves and drizzle some balsamic vinegar too at this point. Combine the sandwich.
4. Grill the complete sandwich on low so that the cheese just melts. Slice in half at an angle and serve. Enjoy!