Sugar Free Sunday & Wake UP and Stop Eating Sugar!!
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
This week I read a really interesting article on Wired. It’s a great writeup on how sugar actually makes us sleepy and increases fatigue. I know many of you probably are nodding your heads knowingly, however this article really lays out a scientific fact that supports what many of us have experienced – sugar makes us tired.
Our brain secretes hormones called orexin which stimulates wakefulness and activity. An increase in orexin causes an increase in our activity levels where as a decrease in orexin causes us to be sluggish and tired.
According to the article, several studies have shown that the intake of sugar can decrease the activity of orexin cells. Which means a reduction in orexin secreted. Which means we get tired. When we get tired, we are just not as active, we do not burn as many calories and yes, we end up putting on weight. But as a society – we continue to eat sugar in all it’s forms (sugary cereals, sugary colas, sugary just about everything). Which means we further reduce our orexin and continue the crazy spiral towards obesity and other health issues.
Wow! What an amazing thing we have just uncovered. Incredible.
Please do read the entire article. It covers some really interesting points as well as has links to the studies.
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.