Tex-Mex Queso & Liebster Blog Award Love
There are times in your life where a small dish or gesture makes the entire path you’re on satisfying and brings true contentment. Today I’d like to share with you my two such times…
1. Receiving the Liebster Blog Award that my blogger buddy Vicky at Gluten Free SCD and Veggie honored me with.
2. Eating Tex-Mex Queso
Yeah – odd combination but I’ll bring it together by the time you hit today’s recipe.
Let’s start with Queso. Queso is a dish that my husband and I literally visit the state of Texas for. That’s right, anytime we have a chance of visiting Texas, we make sure we have queso.. at least once for every day we’re there. I’m talking about real queso. Made with real cheese. Not that stuff that comes out of a can (puke!). The great thing about queso is that it’s made differently by different people. Some make it pure – just cheese with a little kick .. some make it a thick dip with LOTS of veggies. I like it somewhere in the middle. Like the recipe I’m sharing with you today. You’ll notice that the serving size is 6 – 8.. well.. not in my home. It’s really 2. 😛
Now let me tell you about the Liebster Blog Award.
The Liebster Blog Award really captures what I’ve experienced with the food blogging community – support, encouragement and above all appreciation. Liebster is a German word meaning “Dearest” thus the award means “Dearest Blog”. It is given to people whose blogs have less than 200 followers. As every blogger knows, blogging is fun but honestly a lot of work. This award is a way for a blogger to say “Hey – welcome to the club! You’re creating amazing articles and I think you should keep going.”
To accept the award you have to do the following:
- Thank the person who awarded you on your blog. (Thanks Vicky!)
- Link back to the person who awarded you. (You’re awesome too Vicky!)
- Select 5 top picks for the award.
- Inform your top 5 by leaving a comment on their blog.
- Post the Award on your blog.
I’m passing this award onto 5 amazing bloggers. Some of them are really not new to the blog-o-sphere but just blogs I love reading:
Both Queso and the Liebster awards leave me feeling that the effort I’ve been taking, whether it’s to fly across the country or to share recipes online, is totally and completely worth it. After thinking of either one of these two, I’m left with a small smile on my face. Memories of past encounters and anticipation of future ones… love it!!
Makes: 6 – 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 30 minutes
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz montery jack cheese
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 – 3 searrano peppers
- 1 tomato
- 4 oz whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup milk (more if you need to make thinner)
- handlful of cilantro
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2. Mince the serrano peppers.
3. Shred the cheeses.
4. In a non stick pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook till they are translucent – about 5 minutes.
5. Add the shredded cheese and stir till the cheese is melted.
6. Stir in the tomato and serrano peppers.
7. Chop up the chipotle peppers.
8. Chop up the cilantro.
9. Stir in the chipotle peppers and cilantro. Keep stirring and on low heat until the cheese is a smooth consistency and you’re ready to eat. Serve with organic corn chips.. mmmm…