Sugar Free Sunday & Blood Sugar: Glucose
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-togethers ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
As you know, I’m a big proponent of removing refined sugar completely from our diets. I believe that it does more harm than good in our systems. However, a big argument I often heard against removing sugar from our diets is that our bodies naturally crave sugar. It’s true. We all have experienced this in some form of a sugar craving — whether it’s cup cakes, chocolates or even a scoop of ice cream. We actually do get cravings for sugar.
One of the many reasons that we experience these sugar cravings is because our bodies actually need sugar. But before we get too far down this rabbit hole — let’s get specific. What our bodies actually need is “glucose”. Glucose is the primary source of energy for the body’s cells. This energy is eventually used by the body to do things like creation of new cells and control the contraction of muscles.
This would make you think that we should all be munching down on teaspoons of refined sugar every day. However, this is simply not true. The glucose that is needed by our bodies is easily found in foods like fruits, grains and legumes. This “alternative” to refined sugar not only gives us the glucose we need to function but also provides us with many other nutrients that are fundamental to our bodies functioning correctly. Given this option, there is absolutely no reason to expose ourselves to the addiction and non nutritional properties of refined sugar.
So let’s recharge our bodies with healthy glucose by sharing refined sugar-free recipes!
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.