Sugar Free Sunday & The Gateway Sweet
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
I recently read a great post by Mark’s Daily Apple titled ‘The Slippery Slope of “Just One Bite”‘. In it he describe how many (maybe everyone) of us has certain foods that just open the door to havoc in terms of our nutritional plans. Mark aptly calls these foods “Gateway Foods”.
Most people I know have “Gateway Sweets”. The difference between a Gateway Sweet versus treating yourself to something sweet is what happens afterwards. Normal indulgences are momentary – you enjoy the indulgence and then move on to your normal routine of being healthy. A Gateway Sweet on the other hand triggers a flood of indulgence where the need for the sugar or emotional rush makes you want to eat more sugary treats. My personal Gateway Sweet is a thick, moist, dark chocolate cake. I’ve had times when after eating that, for days I’m eating other sweets that don’t give me nearly the same satisfaction except that it’s sweet.
I’ve now started to pay attention to the thoughts that lead me down this crazy path. Generally it’s one of these: “I’ll just have a look [at the dessert menu]”…or “One bite isn’t going to kill me”… or “It’s been a rough day”. And to be perfectly honest – being the creative genius at the wrong time that I am – I have many many variations of this. Maybe one day I’ll write a post with all the ways I manipulate my brain into having my Gateway Sweet.
With the holidays around the corner I know I’m going to have many occasions to confront my Gateway Sweet. My plan is to be super vigilant and just steer clear that particular sweet. I may indulge selectively in others that don’t lead to days of binging but I’m putting all my will power towards just saying “No” when the chocolate cake is passed around.
Do you have a Gateways Sweet? Whats your plan to deal with it?
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.