Flip Cookbook

Girl geek foodies making healthy cooking fun and easy.

By

Sugar Free Sunday and Cola

Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed β€” it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!

So, we’ve all heard that cola has way too much sugar in it. But, visually, how much sugar does coca-cola actually have? Curious? Check out this interesting website, Sugar Stacks, which shows you sugar in terms of sugar cubes, instead of the traditional, “xyz” grams of sugar. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I’ll let these pictures speak for themselves!

If that wasn’t enough, here is another metric. You’ll have to consume 3 pounds of carrots to equal one bottle of coca-cola!

Getting a “sugar high” takes a whole new meaning, with all calories in a red bull coming from sugar!

The interesting thing about this website is that it shows the amount of sugar in vegetables and fruits in terms of sugar cubes too. This way, you actually get to visually see how much sugar you are consuming. Check out the Beverages and the Carrot Stacks section to see how much sugar is present in some everyday snacks!

So, will you think twice before you reach for a can of cola next time?

How do you participate in the virtual potluck?

• Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
  • Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
  • Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
  • Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
  • Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
  • In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
  • It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
  • Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.

We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!

Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.

You'll Definitely Like These!

13 Responses to Sugar Free Sunday and Cola

1. Nicole says:

Arghhh. I accidentally put my name instead of the recipe name in the post and can’t delete it. It’s Pumpkin Pudding. Apologies!

• Sonia says:

Named changed, no worries! πŸ™‚

The pudding looks awesome! I’ve never had any real luck with making puddings! They always get lumpy… any tips/tricks??

• Nicole says:

Thanks so much for correcting my error!

As far as lump-free pudding goes, I find it helps if you make a slurry with the starch and cream (or cream substitute) then mix it in to the mix slowly over lower heat, not boiling. Alternatively, sifting the starch in slowly through a seive, bit by bit, over low heat works too. Hope this helps!

2. Pingback: Gluten-free dairy-free pumpkin pudding | SDC

3. Vicky says:

That’s a lot of sugar in one drink! I never did like Coca Cola! I’ve shared my oil free hummus recipe this week, simple to make and lovely spread on toasted bread (normal or GF)! Have a lovely week!

• Sonia says:

I’ve had the occasional coke/pepsi, but seeing that image just shocked me at the amount of sugar in one bottle! Something so visual packs more of a punch!

The recipe looks nice and simple! I love chickpeas and so does my 2 year old! πŸ™‚

4. That is an interesting website. Thanks for sharing it. While we are getting rid of sugar, I linked a way to get rid of fruit flies that swarm around ripe fruit.

• Sonia says:

Hi Judee, your tricks are awesome! I’ve been meaning to figure out how to get rid of the fruit flies… Thanks for sharing this wonderful post! πŸ™‚

5. Pingback: Recipe: Pecan Crusted Grouper — Real Food Forager

6. jill says:

HI,
    I shared my pecan crusted grouped, an article about grains and gluten and my 28 day grain-free challenge!

• Sonia says:

Hi Jill, the pecan crusted grouper looks delicious! I’ve been meaning to start cooking fish again, and this should be a good come back recipe. Thanks for sharing! As always, I loved your gluten and grain post! πŸ™‚

7. Pingback: Grains and Gluten: The New Offenders For Sure — Real Food Forager