Sugar Free Sunday and 6 Tips on Portion Control
I moved to the US eleven years back to pursue a Masters degree and to this day it embarrasses me, to no end, that it took my parents to come visit me (just four years into my US stay, some saving grace there) before I realized that the food portion served in American restaurants is almost twice that of what you would get any where in the world! Not that I am a world traveller, with Canada, UK and India, under my belt, but you begin noticing a pattern after a while.
Restaurants aren’t going to change their behavior over night, and we’ve all heard the sales rep tell us “for 40 cents more you’ll get the next size up!”… read between the lines 2 times the initial quantity you wanted! So here is a quick refresher on portion control. We’ve all heard them, and just like inspirational quotes, it actually helps to read it once in a while!
- When serving yourself at a buffet, take at least 1/3rd less than what you think you want to eat. Chances are, you were starving when you got there and are going to pile up food on your plate and then will sub-conciously devour the plate at the table.
- Which brings me to the next tip… Eat slow! (We’ve all heard of this one).
- If you are done with your first round of food and want a second helping, give yourself a 5 minute break. Wait and see if you are truly hungry or if it is your brain on auto-pilot, making you eat for the sake of eating.
- Another obvious one, don’t snack out of the bag. Read the serving size, take a plate and keep the remaining snack back in the pantry. It is easier to falter when a huge portion of food is right there in plain sight.
- When in doubt, ask a friend. Sometimes, you might genuinely not have a clue, so go ahead get a second opinion!
- Don’t shy away from ordering an entree and splitting it with a friend/family! If you are still hungry, you can always get dessert!
During their trip here, my parents split a tall Starbucks coffee and my initial reaction was “Huh? Why don’t you get your own cups?” My dads response “But when I can’t finish it, shouldn’t we just split it?” I thought back of the serving size of a cup of tea back in India and it is actually, half of a tall cup of starbucks latte!
On that note, Hello Fall, and bring on your Sugar Free Goodness! 🙂
NOTE: Check out the CDC link on eating healthy portions!
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.