Sugar Free Sunday and 10 years on…
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
Today is 10 years since 9/11 shook the world and when I think about it the first image that comes to my mind is the towers burning and sadness. What I want to do instead, is to try and see the image of the Tribute in Light. I realized, that seeing it felt like a balm on my heart. It is an art installation of 88 searchlights placed next to the site of the World Trade Center to create two vertical columns of light in remembrance of the September 11 attacks and is produced annually by The Municipal Art Society of New York.
I have typed and re-typed this post from here on and I realize I keep getting emotional and philosophical to no end. So instead what I’m going to do is share with you a couple of great articles I came across this week which talk about patriotism, courage and religion.
Hats off to Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney who was up in the air ready to bring down one of the jets, without any ammunition, simply by ramming her F-16 into it, essentially become a Kamikaze pilot. Hers is one of the fewer known stories, but shows immense patriotism and courage knowing that she was flying into certain death.
A prominent author on religious history, Karen Armstrong, talks about it being time for religion to be a force for good. She talks about the golden rule that all faiths, across the world, tend to convey in their own way: Always treat others as you would wish to be treated. She goes on to say that the world faiths also insist that we cannot confine our compassion to our own group; we must have “concern for everybody,” love the stranger, love even our enemies and reach out to all tribes and nations.
So, today, to all the brave men and women who lost their lives on September 11, 2001, I salute you.
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.