Sugar Free Sunday & 10 Tips to Deal With Those Pesky Sugar Cravings
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
When I went sugar free it was pretty easy to cook sugar free. I thought making desserts would be difficult without refined sugar but there were plenty of sugar free dessert recipes. At least enough for me. But then there were those moments. Those moments that would nearly crack my resolve. Moments filled with those darn drooly, dreamy, destructive, delicious, oh-no-one-will-know CRAVINGS. Ugh.
Mind over matter right? No such thing. There are tricks to doing this sugar free thing. And I’m about to let you into my motivational tricks and tips to be sugar free.
- Don’t linger anywhere in the grocery store. Go in there with a list of things you need. Things you decide when there are no temptations in front of you. Then go in there with the attitude that you have absolutely no time to waste. Best would be if this was true – for example shop before something you can’t be late for.
- Cardinal rule of all diets — even for those who are not on any sort of diet: Don’t go grocery shopping when you are hungry. Yes – your eyes will be much much much larger than your stomach if you are hungry. And sugary stuff is one of the first things people reach for when they’re hungry – at least I do.
- Tell people that you interact with on a daily basis that you’re sugar free. Tell them over and over again. This made me feel accountable. Like I couldn’t let people down. Talk about great motivation.
- Find a partner in crime. There is nothing like having someone who shares a journey with you. It’s not only company but also brings you closer.
- Keep a food diary. Make sure you keep track of not only what you are eating but also how you feel. I used a scale of 1 to 5 (where 1 meant ‘terrible’, 2 : ‘not so good’, 3 : ‘ok / not bad’, 4 : ‘great’, 5 : ‘amazing!’). It’s really great to see how much better you feel when you’re not eating sugar. The best reward is results right?
- Keep non-sugary snacks handy. For the longest time I had at least one Lara bar stashed at home, work, in my car and in my purse. (No I’m not getting paid by Lara bars – they just really helped me get through a lot of the first few months of being sugar free. 🙂 ). Another thing I used to eat a lot of was sliced apples and cheese.
- Drink a glass of water. I drank a lot of water. In fact, I even started doing things like steeping dried goji berries in hot water to have a little “sweet” treat at the end of my cup of hot water.
- Eat something sweet! A few sugar craving quenchers: Yogurt with ripe fruit, Fruit smoothies, Lara bars, Desserts made with honey (like this one), Popsicles made with fruit juices. Check out our dessert section for more ideas.
- When shopping look for sugar-free things like – jam sweetened with fruit juices. Then you can eat things that you love like PB & J! Make sure you aren’t eating “fake” sugar (artificial sweeteners) instead of sugar.
- Eat “naughty” non-sugar things – like butter and cream. I’m not going to even argue the benefits of eating butter here – but just think of it this way – you’ve cut out so many “bad” calories by cutting out sugar – you can now eat all the butter you want! (Please make sure this makes sense for you – it really did for me.) Also – theres no way your sugar cravings won’t be crushed when you eat fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream.
- Most importantly: Don’t beat yourself up for falling off the wagon; Celebrate getting back on the wagon.
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.