Sugar Free Sunday & Spoonfuls of Sugar
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
I’d like to remind you of our awesome giveaway. We’re giving away a Sur La Table Vintage Apron. We tried it out in the store – and it looked FABULOUS. I’m sure it’ll look just as amazing on you. You can read all about it here.
I recently came across this interesting chart in the USDA factbook.
I’ve always heard that we eat a lot more sugar today than our ancestors or even the generation before ours ate. But it wasn’t until I saw this chart did I realize what “a lot more” really meant. According to the USDA Economic Research Service, in the year 2000 on average a single American ate 43 pounds of sugar more than they did during 1950s. That is an increase of 39%.
What does 43 pounds more mean?
43 more pounds means 19,504 more grams.
Each teaspoon of sugar is about 4 grams.
So that means that EACH one of us is eating 4876 teaspoons MORE sugar per year than we ate during the 50s. That’s right Four THOUSAND eight HUNDRED seventy six MORE teaspoons.
That is 13.5 teaspoons MORE each day.
Assuming we eat 3 meals a day – that’s like eating 4.5 teaspoons of sugar more at each meal than our grandparents did.
Have you heard the Mary Poppins song – “A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down”?
Well. What does that say about our meals if we’re eating 4.5 teaspoons of sugar to help it go down?
Heh.. Anyhow.. Now that we’ve done the math.. I’d leave you to think of the consequence.
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.