Sesame Tofu Asparagus Stir-Fry
This is so exciting! Only about an hour and half to go before we randomly choose a winner for our beautiful Sur La Table giveaway. Don’t miss out – read all the details here.
I live in a beautiful location. A place where people flock in the winter to ski, snowboard and build snowmen. Yup – my place is definitely a place to have a white christmas. So when summer comes around we try to get maximum sun time.
Last weekend we decided to head out to an air show. I felt a little odd given that the entire even was advertised as “fun for the kids”. Yeah – I don’t have kids.. nor were any kids visiting. But I tend not to let things like age stop me too often. 😛 So the decision was made that an air show would be a perfect way to spend some fun time in the sun while discovering some really cool metal birds.
Before we headed out I made this recipe because it’s relatively quick, filling and just tasty. I could have probably simplified the recipe further by leaving out the tofu – but when a girl craves tofu – a girl craves tofu. Plus – I love cooking on the weekends when I have time to enjoy the entire process. I certainly wasn’t going to skimp out on that.
So with full stomachs we headed out to see the acrobatic air show and military metal birds. They were gorgeous and I got some sun. The weekend couldn’t have been better. I’m not sure what part was my favorite. I really loved watching the acrobats do loops and barrel rolls in the sky. On the other hand, poking around the military planes and speaking with some of the army recruits filled my heart with pride. Heres a picture of me climbing out of one of the military helicopters.
I had a wonderful time. I hope you try out this recipe while there are still lots of fresh asparagus in the markets.
This recipe is shared at: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Sesame Tofu Asparagus Stir-Fry
Makes: 4 servings
Ready in: 40 minutes
- 1 packet of organic extra firm tofu (I use sprouted tofu)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon nut oil (I used almond oil)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 2 green onion stalks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons less sodium soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 dried red chillis
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Drain the tofu and wrap it in paper towel to absorb the extra water. To help drain the tofu I place a can on the towel wrapped tofu.
2. While the tofu drains, was and trim the asparagus. Chop it into about 1 – 2 inch pieces.
3. Wash, trim and chop up the green onions.
4. Unwrap the tofu and chop it into small squares.
5. In a mixing bowl stir together the sesame seeds and the tofu.
6. Over medium high heat, heat the nut oil and sesame oil and stir fry the tofu till it turns a light brown color; about 5 minutes. It’s better to use a non stick pan (but mine was in the wash). A little confession – I used the oil on the top of my almond butter for the nut oil.
7. Peel the garlic cloves. If you don’t have a garlic press go ahead and mince the garlic.
8. Once the tofu is done, transfer to a bowl. Put the pan back on the heat. Add the garlic (by pushing it through a garlic press), asparagus and red chillis. Stir fry for a few minutes.
9. Add the soy sauce, vegetable broth and cayenne pepper. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 5 – 8 minutes till the asparagus is tender.
10. Remove the cover and mix in the tofu. Serve hot with rice or eat as is.