Sugar Free Sunday & Date Syrup
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
Guess what I just bought. Yeah – dead give-a-way is the title of this post! 🙂 Date Syrup!!
I found it in my local store next to the honey and maple syrup. I thought it would be an interesting topping for the gluten free, sugar free waffles I had recently discovered. I haven’t yet gone back to maple syrup since expanding my diet after being on SCD for a year. Although I felt date syrup was sweeter than maple syrup, I did enjoy it on my waffles. I’ve been sugar free for over a year and half now, so perhaps part of the “sweeter than” feeling came from just not being used to that level of sweetness anymore. I also tried baking blue berry muffins with the date syrup instead of honey. I didn’t get the ratio quite right so the jury is still out on that one. One thing I noticed though was that my muffins were a lot browner than they normally turn out.
At first I thought date syrup was something new created due to the shift in market demand towards more natural sweeteners. But nope! Turns out date syrup is popular in the Middle East where it is known as Rub or Dibs. Searching for Dibs recipes got me a lot of different things from fish marinated in dibs, alcoholic drinks sweetened with dibs and as expected plenty of desserts. So it’s definitely not a new creation. In fact some argue that the biblical references to “honey” was originally in Hebrew referring to date syrup.
Have you tried date syrup? If so – in what? I’d love to expand my recipe collection with this!
Oh, if you’re on SCD please try date syrup with precaution. Dates are legal but Date Sugar is marked as illegal with a note saying it “May be tried after being on the diet for quite sometime and symptom free but it is not recommended.” I once did ask about date sugar on the SCD yahoo support group. I was told that the reason that date sugar is not legal is because of it’s concentration of sugars vs eating an actual date. I would assume Date Syrup falls into the same category as Date Sugar. So please take precaution when trying this product out if you’re on SCD.
Have a fantastic refined sugar-free week!!
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.