Sugar Free Sunday & Miracle Berry
Welcome to one of the sweetest weekly virtual potluck get-together ever! Yes indeed — it is Sugar Free Sunday! We host it every Sunday to exchange incredible sugar free recipes. Inspiration to start the week right? You bet!
A good friend recently told me about a very intriguing berry, Synsepalum dulcificum, also known as Miracle Berry or Miracle Fruit. This berry, when consumed, temporarily alters your tastes so that sour foods taste sweet. I haven’t been able to find much research done on how the berry works but one theory is that the berry contains a molecule that distorts your sweet receptors to make them receptive to acids instead of sugary foods.
Miracle Berries have been used in West Africa since at least 200 years ago. Besides the fruit, they are also available in tablet form. I’ve heard of people having “flavor tripping parties” where they eat the berry or the tablet and then proceed to try various sour foods like Tabasco sauce, lemon, vinegar etc. Often these sour foods are described to taste like their sweet counterparts – doughnuts, lemonade, apple juice etc.
There are even restaurants that are featuring dishes around the Miracle Fruit. The Miracle Fruits Café in Tokyo serves sugarless, low-fat dessert like yogurt and tomatoes with miracle berries to fill patrons’ sweet tooth without the calories. The ING restaurant in Chicago serves diners with sophisticated recipes are built around the transformative effects of the miracle berry, which is served in fresh and tablet form.
I haven’t tried these berries yet, but I’m very curious about their potential to curb our addiction to refined sugars and high fructose corn syrup.
Have you heard of the Miracle Berry? Have you tried it?
How do you participate in the virtual potluck?
- Link your recipe post (NOT your homepage) if it does not use refined sugar. Your blog does not have to be entirely sugar free, just the dish you’re sharing!
- Please link back to this get-together somewhere in your post’s text. It’s a great way to invite your readers to the fun!
- Want to make something sweet without using refined sugar? Just check out all the ways to satisfy your sweet tooth without refined sugar here.
- Your link doesn’t have to be to a sweet dish! We love to see your sugar free appetizers, entrees, soups, snacks — well — you get the idea!
- Please don’t link to carnivals or giveaways. This is a party; bring a dish to share!
- In the ‘Name’ field, please enter who you are and what you’re linking. For example Sonia would put: Bean Kale Pasta Soup [Sonia @ Flip Cookbook]
- It’s not a party if no one chats! Please join the conversation by leaving a message in the comments section below. Also make sure you have the ‘Notify Me’ checkbox selected so that you can listen as well!
- Sign up for free to our new venture Velvet Aroma. It’s a visual way to read the blogs you love and really bring their recipes into your kitchen.
We’re so excited to see what you’re cooking….. Sugar Free!
Click on the ‘Add your link’ button below to share.