Spicy Paneer Pizza
Today is quite a day for Flip Cookbook. It’s been one year since I published my first recipe on this website. Over one year since I decided I wanted to make it easier for the next person to find tasty ways to being on Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) or any other diet. Yes, one year ago, I was on my journey to heal myself through diet and a healthy lifestyle. Still am.
And what a journey it has been so far! I’ve discovered a new found passion of cooking. I’ve decided to start a company based on that passion. Kitchen appliances have risen to the top of my gift list. I’ve even gained control over my gut issues which were slowly but surely crippling me (cross my fingers it lasts!). I’ve been able to modify my diet to now be gluten free and sugar free (GFSF). But the most fulfilling thing in this last year has been being part of an amazing community of food lovers. An amazing community of all races, ages, genders, diets and lifestyles but with one commonality – the love of food and the love of sharing that love. Thank you for that.
Today I share with you a paneer dish. Paneer is an Indian cheese that you can find easily in any Indian grocery store or make yourself at home. I’ve heard people call it “cottage cheese”, but in my opinion it’s nothing like cottage cheese. It’s generally made by separating the curd from the whey in milk using some sort of acid (like lemon juice). Then the curd is drained leaving a thick cheese that can be incorporated into may types of dishes – snacks, veggies and even desserts.
This pizza has a pretty delicious and unique topping. The paneer and Indian spices give it a wonderful spicy flavor. Enjoy!
Spicy Paneer Pizza
Makes: 2 12 inch pizzas
Ready in: 1 hour
For the toppings:
- 1 block of 8 oz paneer
- 5 sweet mini peppers (can also use 1 bell pepper)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 can diced tomato 14.5 oz
- 1/2 teaspoon gaaram masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Shredded cheddar cheese to top
- 1 16 oz packet of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pizza Crust (Whole Grain Mix)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
For the crust:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Chop paneer into small bite-sized cubes.
2. Dice onions. First trim the ends of the onion and remove the dried shell. Cut the onion in half, then cut each half into slices. Cut the slices into small chunks.
3. Trim the peppers ends. Chop them into small chunks.
4. Heat olive oil on medium high heat. Once hot, saute the onions until they are translucent.
5. Add panner and peppers and saute for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes, gaaram masala, cayenne pepper and salt. Reduce the heat and cook till the sauce is thick. This is your pizza topping.
6. In bowl combine water and yeast. Let stand for a few minutes.
7. In food processor blend yeast mixture, eggs and oil. Add crust flour, cumin — blend till forms a nice dough.
8. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover the dough with plastic and let it rise for 20 minutes.
9. Each half makes one pizza. Spread the dough over a pizza pan to make a 12 inch pizza base.
10. Bake the crust without toppings for 7 – 9 mins.
11. Add paneer toppings.
12. Top with shreadded cheese and bake for 15 – 18 mins.