Easy Spinach Bake
I generally look forward to unwinding a busy day by spending about an hour or so in the kitchen making dinner. It’s my time to let the little hamsters that churn my mental wheels just chill for a bit. My work is such that the busier I get, the longer I sit in front of my computer. So standing up and cooking is a perfect way to get off my bum. Yes, that’s generally what I look forward to.
But then.. then there are days like today. Days where dinner arrives as an interruption to what I consider my most genius moments. Now, for me, interrupting a genius moment could lead to a crisis. A productivity train wreck in fact. Often on these types of days, I cajole my wonderful husband into cooking up something for us. However, I’ve been asking that of him for a couple of nights (yes, I am on a genius moment roll!). Anyhow, I figured I’d give him a break tonight. That didn’t mean I was giving up on my genius moment. Heavens no! It just meant that I needed to be quick.
I know I can always rely on spinach and baking when I need to cook something quick. And there you have it — this dish was prepped up in about 15 minutes and I could go back to my genius moment while my little oven took over the cooking! Hurray! Another productivity disaster averted!
This dish is super easy to make and oh so delicious — especially the SCD-legal, gluten-free crust. Savory and satisfying.
Easy Spinach Bake
Makes: 6 servings
Ready in: 55 minutes (15 minutes prep + 40 minutes bake)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil for cooking onions
- Cooking spray or 1 Tbs butter to coat baking dish
- 9 oz of baby spinach
- 8 oz cheese (I used 4 oz pepper jack cheese and 4 oz medium cheddar cheese)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup yogurt (SCD legal yogurt for SCD-ers)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Slice onions. First trim the ends of the onion and remove dried shell. Cut the onion in half, then cut each half into slices about quarter inch thick.
2. Heat the tablespoon of olive oil in a non stick pan. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent; about 5 minutes.
3. Coat the bottom of a 8×11 cooking pan with cooking spray or melted butter.
4. Evenly spread approximately half the spinach on the bottom of the dish. Top it with half the shredded cheese (I used pepper jack here).
5. Spread the cooked onions evenly on top.
6. Top it with the rest of the spinach and then a layer with the rest of the shredded cheese (I used cheddar here).
7. In a medium sized bowl, lightly whisk the 2 eggs.
8. Mix in the almond flour, yogurt, baking soda, salt, dijon mustard, black pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper till it forms a smooth paste.
9. Evenly pour the flour mixture on top of the cheese. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned.