Garden Omelet (Frittata)
Breakfast is such a treasured treat in this day and age of accelerated morning routines. And I’m not talking about the breakfast that you grab with one hand while your other hand is busy slipping on your shoes so that you can run out the door. I’m talking about the breakfast where you eat at a table while you’re all still in your PJs and have a little bit of sleep still hanging off your eyelids. THAT breakfast, is such a treat.
I have a wonderful husband that I love eating breakfast with. One of our favorites is the easy and versatile omelet (or as the french say.. ‘omelette’). Till recently I’ve been using the fold over individual omelet technique. The thing I hated about this was that one omelet got cold while I made the second one. I tried to solve this problem by putting the first one in a warm oven while I made the second one, but that just dried out the first.
Recently I learned a trick from my mother-in-law that completely solved my cold-omelet problem. Basically you cook both omelets together. In the same pan! Brilliant!! If you’re scratching your head, read on. Basically, you cook all the eggs as a single omelet but eat it like a baked frittata. No more flipping. No more folding. No more cold-omelets for me (or you)!
This particular omelet is simply beautiful. Its a great combination of vegetables. The crowning glory though is the avocado. Its smooth texture and flavor makes each bite lip smacking good. Enjoy!
Garden Omelet (Frittata)
Makes: 2 servings
Ready in: 20 minutes
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 mushrooms
- 1/2 small bell pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 small red onion
- 2 cloves or garlic
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup grated cheese (as much as you want really)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°F. Clean (I generally rinse) and slice mushrooms into about 1/4 inch thick slices.
2. Clean and dice the bell pepper into small chunks. Have fun experimenting with different colored ones!
3. Dice the red onion.
4. Chop the cherry tomatoes into halves.
5. Trim and peel the garlic cloves.
6. Chop the spinach into two inch wide chunks.
7. Using a paring knife, cut the avocado into half. Separate the halves and cut one half into cubes.
8. In a small bowl, beat the eggs with a fork.
9. Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a medium non-stick skillet. Add mushroom, bell peppers and onions. Saute until the onions become transparent; about 5 minutes.
10. Add the garlic and spinach. Saute until the spinach wilts.
11. Add the eggs to the skillet. While the eggs are still runny, scrape the pan a few times with a non-stick spatula to allow the uncooked egg to run directly onto the skillet.
12. Once the omelet is set (or mostly set), sprinkle the avocado and cheese on top.
13. Put the skillet into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts and the omelet is completely set. Using the spatula, divide the omelet into quarters. Serve hot. Remember the handle of the skillet will be hot coming out of the oven!