Oven Grilled Vegetables
This weekend is Memorial Day holiday in the US. To many Americans, this is the unofficial kickoff to summer and barbecue season (yay!). Today, I’d like to share with you a vegetable dish thats perfect for everyone at a grill out. Vegetarians can eat this as their main while for non-vegetarians, it’s a perfect compliment to just about any type of meat.
This is another recipe that I classify as “super easy”. It doesn’t require much effort besides chopping up some veggies into large pieces. I’ve listed the vegetables that I used last time I made this dish, however you could use just about any vegetable. Eggplants are one that many people love to include. I find that pineapples are an absolute must! Remember, the more variety you include, the more colorful and beautiful the dish will turn out.
Enjoy the festivities!
PS: No need to wait for a barbecue to try this out, it’s great even at home.
Oven Grilled Vegetables
Makes: 6 servings
Ready in: 1 hour 10 minutes (10 minutes prep + 30 minutes marinade + 30 minutes bake)
1. Create the marinade by combining the vinegar, olive oil, black pepper, chilli powder, basil, oregano and garlic powder together in a medium sized bowl. Here I’ve used the container that I’m going to serve the vegetables in to minimize cleanup.
2. Chop pineapples into inch thick wedges. As I chop the veggies, I toss them into the bowl of marinade.
3. Trim and slice the mushrooms into 1/2 inch thick slices. Add them into the bowl.
4. Chop the green bell peppers into thick pieces and add them to the bowl.
5. Chop up the tomatoes and add to the bowl. Here I’ve used cherry tomatoes as well as a roma tomato.
6. Slice the zucchini into 1/2 inch thick slices. I’ve peeled the zucchini first, but you can leave the skin on if you like.
7. Chop the onion into thick chunks.
8. Mix the vegetables to coat them with the marinade. Cover and allow it to soak for about 30 minutes. You can leave it for much longer if you like (overnight / a few hours is just fine).
9. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut a piece of foil about 12 inches long. You want the foil to be long enough to hold all the veggies. Pour the vegetables and marinade onto the foil.
10. Cut another piece of foil as long as the first piece. Place the second piece on top of the vegetables parallel to the first. Fold the corners of the the two foil pieces together to form a foil bag. Place the bag onto a baking sheet. Place into heated oven for 30 minutes. If you’re using a grill, you will probably have to cook for about 15 – 20 minutes instead.
11. Remove bag from oven. Tear the foil bag open and remove vegetables. Be careful, theres a lot of hot steam in the bag that could burn your skin.